Your space heater can turn a frigid room into a cozy one. However, if not used correctly, it can pose major safety risks. Here’s why.
The most common reason for space heater-related fires has to do with where they are placed. All too often, flammable items are too close to the unit and catch on fire. That’s why it is crucial to keep your unit isolated at least three feet away from anything that could pose a fire risk. This includes clothing, which many people place on top of their heaters to dry. In addition, don’t use standard space heaters in damp environments such as bathrooms since you run the risk of serious electrical shock.
If electrical outlet space is at a premium, you might be tempted to plug your space heater into an extension cord. Resist that impulse. Using an extension cord or power strip greatly increases the risk of electrical fires.
Carefully check how your space heater plugs into the outlet. If it does not fit snugly, it could cause a fire. Also, periodically monitor the temperature of the plug. If it’s too hot, call a reputable heater repair company immediately.
When you leave a room where a space heater is operating, turn it off – even if it has safety features designed to shut it down if it gets too hot. This simple precaution could save your life.
When you’re in the market for a new space heater, opt for a unit rich in safety features. These include a timer, exteriors that are cool to the touch, shutdown features that activate when the unit gets overheated and even sensors that will turn it off if a pet or a person comes too close.
A space heater can be a valuable addition to your home. After all, you can use it to warm only the room you are occupying, thus enabling you to save money and stay cozy at the same time. As long as you keep these safety tips in mind, your space heater can become one of your best friends when cold weather strikes.